Apple Press release: Apple Enhances iBook Line
- Hauptkategorie: FAQs
Apple Enhances iBook Line
New iBook Special Edition in Stunning Graphite
MACWORLD EXPO TOKYO—February 16, 2000—In a move to make the best selling consumer portable in the U.S.* even better, Apple® today introduced an enhanced iBook™ lineup, including the debut of iBook Special Edition. Featuring double the memory and hard drive size, all three new iBook models come standard with 64MB of memory and a 6GB hard drive. iBook Special Edition features a faster 366 MHz PowerPC G3 processor and, like iMac™ DV Special Edition, comes in a stunning Graphite-color enclosure.
“The iBook has been a big hit with consumers, students and educators, and we want to make it even better,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The new iBook Special Edition is the most elegant iBook ever.”
Like the original iBook, the new models offer “all-day” battery life of up to six hours and support for Apple’s revolutionary AirPort™ wireless networking for cable-free Internet access. The new iBook line retains its stunning design, which includes a rubber-coated translucent enclosure, a pullout handle for safe carrying, and a unique closing mechanism without latches.
iBook and iBook Special Edition features include:
- A brilliant 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT SVGA display with millions of colors at 800x600 resolution;
- A built-in 56K modem and 10/100BASE-T Ethernet;
- Instant Internet access with a free 30-day trial with EarthLink;
- 24x-speed CD-ROM drive;
- A USB port for peripherals such as printers, input and storage devices;
- Mac® OS 9, featuring 9 Internet power tools;
- ATI RAGE Mobility graphic controller featuring AGP 2X support and 4MB of SDRAM;
- Innovative power adapter whose cord winds up like a YoYo; and
- Built-in stereo headphone jack.
Pricing and Availability
All three models are available immediately through Apple Authorized Resellers and The Apple Store™ (www.apple.com). iBook, available in Blueberry and Tangerine, is priced at US$1,599. iBook Special Edition is priced at US$1,799.
*According to PC Data’s Portables Hardware Tracking Service (October-December 1999).
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators and creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
(650) 968-4033, ext.2752
Original Press release at apple.com